Substance Misuse Counselor

Also called: Addictions Counselor, Chemical Dependency Counselor, Substance Abuse Counselor

Job Outlook in Vermont
High Demand 

What you might do
Substance Misuse Counselors work with people who have problems with alcohol, drugs, or other addictions.  They counsel patients and work in the community to prevent addiction.

Where you might work
Mental health center, halfway house, doctor’s office, private practice, hospital, residential treatment center.

Related Links
My Next Move: Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselors
O*Net Online: Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselors
Occupational Outlook Handbook: Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors
Vermont Addiction Professionals Association (VAPA)
Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)

Education Required
Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LADCs) usually hold a master’s degree (2 years after a 4-year bachelor’s degree); but there are many different jobs in substance misuse counseling, such as the Apprentice Addiction Professional position, which in Vermont only requires an associate’s degree (2 years).

Where to Study

Community College of Vermont

Vermont State University - Johnson

Anna Maria College

Berkshire Community College

Bristol Community College

Cape Cod Community College

Greenfield Community College

Middlesex Community College

Mount Wachusett Community College

North Shore Community College

Northern Essex Community College

Quincy College

Regis College

Springfield College

Springfield Technical Community College

Keene State College

Manchester Community College

NHTI, Concord's Community College

University of New Hampshire

D'Youville University


SUNY Westchester Community College

Johnson & Wales University

Rhode Island College

For more information, contact your regional AHEC:

Northern Vermont AHEC

Southern Vermont AHEC