Medical Interpreter

Job Outlook in Vermont
High Demand

What you might do
Medical Interpreters translate for patients and health care providers who do not share a language.  They also explain technical terms and cultural differences to help patients and providers understand each other.

Where you might work
Doctor’s office, hospital, nursing home, other health care office

Related Links
My Next Move: Interpreters & Translators
O*Net Online: Interpreters & Translators
Occupational Outlook Handbook: Interpreters & Translators
National Council on Interpreting in Health Care (NCIHC)
International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA)
Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI)

Education Required
Medical Interpreters must be fluent in at least two languages and in medical terminology.  Most hold a bachelor’s degree (4 years) and many complete certificate programs.

Where to Study

CT State Community College

Eastern Connecticut State University

Southern Maine Community College

Rochester Institute of Technology

Bristol Community College (MA)

Rochester Institute of Technology (NY)

For more information, contact your regional AHEC:

Northern Vermont AHEC

Southern Vermont AHEC